Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My birthing story

Ok so here it goes, on aug. 19th (wed) I was scheduled to be induced at 3pm. The day before, Tuesday, a nurse called and said there was an opening on Wednesday to do an induction. Of course I said yes to it but man I was soo scared because this came out of no where. They decided to do an induction because of my high blood pressure and they were thinking the baby was going to be 8.5 pounds and also troy was starting school monday. So Wednesday we were all packed up and went to the hospital and arrived on time. We went to check in and the lady said "oh we don't have any rooms for you, today has been so busy with people going into labor, we will call you when there is a room". She also said they were supposed to have called us that morning to infom us not to come in but no one did. I was sooooo mad, and what a dissapointment, i was mentally prepared and everything. So we drove home and I decided to take a nap. But before I did I wanted Troy to call and just see if maybe they knew of an estimated time of when they would call us to come back in. When Troy called the lady said "oh we acutally were going to call you to come back, we have a room for you." How annoying!! We seriously were home for 5 min and then we had to go back. This time driving to the hospital I was way more nervous and scared. So we got there but we had to wait again! They had called other people to come back in for inductions as well and even though we were the first ones there they called those other people to come back and check in before us! So again they told us that they didn't have any rooms for us! Oh my gosh I was sooooo bugged! Finally after waiting over an hour we got to check in but as we were checking in a girl came in who was in labor so they gave her our room. Are you kidding me!? So then we had to wait some more. Finally they took me back and they had to put me into a triage room, which is like a whole in the wall, and I stayed there for 4 hours. They started me up on my IV, which by the way freakin hurt! and then they had to give me some medicine to soften my cervix. They started me on this medicine at 7pm and I had to have it in me for 12 hours. Me and troy were so bored in that room we played hangman on a dry erase board, which was very entertaining, we were laughing so hard and having our own fun. At about 11pm they gave me some Ambien to help me sleep through the night. Well that didn't work out so well because I still couldn't fall asleep because of all the annoying sounds of the machines and getting my blood pressure taken every 30min! So then I started to hallucinate because of the Ambien and when I would look at Troy his face would be all distorted and I would just stare at him and I got all freaked out. He had to make me close my eyes to go to sleep, it was pretty funny.

At 7am the next morning they took out the medicine to soften my cervix and checked me. I was dialated to a 1 and 70% efaced. At 8am they started me on pitocin. At 9:30 my dr. came in to check me and I wasn't progressing and he really wanted me to have this baby that day so he decided to break my water. I totally freaked out because there was no warning. He did it and it hurt! So about an hour after that I started to feel some cramping and then I began to really feel the contractions. They hurt pretty bad and I had to really breathe through them. My nurse, who was awesome, said that I could have my epidural at any time. So I asked her to check my progression and I was only at a 2! I didn't want the pain to get worse but yet I wasn't sure if it was totally lame to get the epidural so early. She said it doesn't matter and I should just do it because it wouldn't slow me down or anything. So I thought why not? So basically I was in labor for an hour :) But the bad part.... getting my epidural was the worst most painful part of my life. Getting the first shot to numb my back was awful but then when she was doing the big needle she kept hitting my right nerve in my back which was soooo painful and she ended up poking me like 5 times! It seriously was so painful and traumatizing for me, I just cried and cried. But I do have to say that after it was done it was sooo worth it. Troy had boughten me a ring for "pushing out the baby" and he gave it to me after my epidural because he wanted to cheer me up. I'll have to post a pic of the ring, I just love it, it's beautiful.

Anyway I was able to rest and have the lights out to try and sleep. The nurse came in at about 2:30pm to check me and i was at a tight 4. So I dosed off again (Troy was so bored, I felt so bad for him). Then at almost 5pm I started to feel like I needed to poop (which means the baby's head was right there). For some reason I didnt tell the nurse right away because i had felt it for a while. Anyway she came in to check me and she said "wow you are ready to push right now!!" Crazy!! I got nervous and I didnt know what to expect! They hurried and got everthing ready and Troy was holding one leg and my mom the other. I pushed about 5 times and got her out in 15 min.!! It was sooooo fast, they said that once her head came out her body just flew out! Everyone was just amazed at how fast she came. I did tear a little though, but guess what, I didnt poop! haha that was my fear. Im sure you all wanted to know that too. Troy, throughout the whole process, was just soooo amazing, he helped me out so much and he was such a good coach through it all too, giving me words of encouragement. My Mom was also such a great support for me too! Lyla weighed 7 pounds 14 oz and was 20.5 in. She came out with such a sweet cry. It was so crazy, I honestly didnt know how to feel after everything, I think I was just so exhausted.
So after everything I've been healing really well, and i just love her so much. She really is such a good baby, she only cries if she needs something, she never just cries just because. She sleeps pretty well and when she's awake she just stares all around. She really is a good baby and we just love her to pieces! I have to admit though it still has been so very tough especially for the first 5 days. I literally didnt sleep because I was so worried about her. I would just stare at her all night until about 5 or 6 am until my body couldnt handle it anymore. It was pretty bad. Thankfully my mom stayed with us and helped out soooooooo much. She cooked us a great meal every night, she did laundry, cleaned the house and would watch the baby when I needed to take a nap. She was just so wonderful and I was sooooo sad to see her leave. I still really miss her and her help. Things by myslef have been hard. I definitly have had the baby blues, my hormones have been crazy and I would cry almost every night (its getting better) And troy has been here for me throughout it all. He truly has been so so helpful. He helps whenever I ask him and he even gets up at night with me and he feeds her a bottle while I pump, just so I'm not up for so long. Troy is such a great dad and he just loves to hold her and take care of her. He even doesnt mind changing her nasty poops. I really couldnt be more thankful for him and all he has done for me at this time! before i went to the hospital


in the triage room hanging out and before they put tons of fluid in my face!



this was right before i was going to push



right after she came, look how happy troy is. And look at that double chin!




first time meeting her










me and my mom




i love this pic, she was so awake and alert from the moment she came out









look at the chub face





getting ready to go home


her first little outfit we put her in when we got home



she is so tiny! after the hospital she lost 14oz so we had to give her formula





her first bath, she didnt even cry. She is so good she never cries when we change her diaper either i love it.



look at that cute face!










so sweet!

















19 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Congratulations, Candice and Troy! She's SO beautiful!! You're my hero, Candice :) I hope I get to meet her in person soon! Love you guys! Welcome to the world, little Lyla!

Collette said...

your awesome and such a good momma! love you three!

aprilaleman said...

BEAUTIFUL BABY! And, fun story. :) She is a mini Troy though. :)

The Brinkerhoff's said...

She is SO CUTE!!! CONGRATS! So did you have her on the 20th?? if so that's a GREAT DAY!(My birthday!) Well Krew can't wait for their first play date

Jayne said...

that was a wonderful post Candice,
Lyla Jayne is a doll, and you are a wonderful mama! she will be lucky to have you and Troy as parents.
It was a special time for me to be there with you. I loved every minute of it and so grateful you let me share this special wonderful time with you.
I'm looking forward to being with you again.

Bybee's said...

ahhh!! i am soo glad to read the story and see the pictures! you are soo funny candice! she is adorable . i think she looks just like troy!! i LOVE the sleeping picture of her. i can't believe how little she is! can't wait to see her

Todd Family said...

I've been looking at your blog everyday just waiting for a post! i am so happy for you guys! seriously, that's so awesome! i would be going crazy and probably be an emotional wreck after how many times the hospital turned you down! i'm sure it's the craziest feeling to have your daughter! congrats once again!! you two will be awesome parents!! i agree with april...she is a mini troy!

Erich and Katie said...

I love the pictures! She is adorable, please let me know if you need anything!

Whitney said...

Thanks for letting us come and visit your sweet little Lyla! (and for letting Stella snoop through your house) We LOVE her and cannot wait to visit again! She's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited to get to be a part of this little girls life! You did awesome, and I am hoping to visit soon!

Kimmie said...

What a princess! She is beautiful!

Jim and Brooke said...

She is beautiful!!
Good job!! Hang in there.
It gets easier, and the sleep will come. :)

Jill Duncan said...

She is adorable! Congratulations!!! I love hearing birth stories!

Amy said...

Congratulations, she's adorable! The first couple of weeks (okay, I won't lie, the first month or so) are hard, but it gets easier!!!

Cara Fish said...

Glad you finally got a chance to post. I want to see a picture of your "push present" ring of course...

Steph said...

I'm so happy to finally hear the story! I love all the detail!!
She is so sweet! I'm so happy for your little family. I hope your baby blues get better soon!

Jared Westergard said...

Candice she is BEAUTIFUL! Congrats you guys! She looks just like Troy haha. We need to come and visit you guys!

Steve and Steph said...

congrats! Sounds like you were a trooper! I can relate in some areas of your story...She is such a cutie!

Andrea Lee said...

Candice! wow, you're a mom! I'm so happy for you two. Loved the post and pictures. She looks a lot like troy. but she has your lips and chin. call me if you want to hear about my baby blues. I have psyco hormones. 8012434146. I haven't talked to you in sooooo long. like a year!